Apple's latest software update of iOS 12 has introduced some new features to iPhones. It includes screen time, siri shortcuts, Memoji for iPhone X, improved security, and also includes privacy protection features. The size of the new iOS 12 varies ranging from 1.37 GB for iPhone 6 to 1.65 GB for iPhone X.
Following are the steps involved for installing the latest update:-
a.) Via OTA (Over the Air): Settings > General > Software Update
b.) Via iTunes:
- Back up your respective device with iCloud
- Start iTunes either on your MAC or PC
- Click on About and check for any updates
- Connect your respective device
- Click on either your iPhone, iPad or iPod in the top left navigation
- Than go to check for update button
- When the update gets recognised click on Download and Update
- Finally unlock, your device with the passcode and download the upgrade
iPhones Eligible for iOS 12 Update:
- iPhone 5s
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 plus
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6s plus
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 plus
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 plus
- iPhone X
iPads Eligible for iOS 12 Update:
- iPad mini (2 Gen)
- iPad mini (3 Gen)
- iPad Mini (4 Gen)
- iPad (5th Gen)
- iPad (6th Gen)
- iPad Air (1st Gen)
- iPad Air (2nd Gen)
- iPad Pro 12.9 (1st Gen)
- iPad Pro 12.9 (2nd Gen)
- iPad Pro 10.5 inch (1St Gen)
- iPad Pro 9.7-inch (1st Gen)
Key Features of iOS 12:
- Performance Improvements: With the new update the devices are expected to perform better and faster.
- Privacy and Security: Apple has made it's services compliant to European Union's GDPR act. Also Safari now comes with a simplified system information in order to prevent social media platforms to track users on the basis of system configuration.
- Group Facetime: With the new update you can group facetime up to 32 people at the same time.
- Siri Shortcuts: The new update will enable virtual assistant Siri to deliver a new and a much faster way to get the things done.
- Screen Time: Users will now be able to track their activities on their devices with details regarding the most used apps and also the time spent on it during the entire day.
- New Notifications Options: With the new update users can now instantly manage notifications. It can either be delivered quietly or can be turned off completely.
- New Photo Share: The new update brings a 'For You' Tab in which you can place your favourite moments under one roof which will include Memories and also iCloud shared albums.
- Apple Books replaces iBooks: The new update replaces iBook with Apple books and it also includes new features like Audiobooks, The Library, Reading Now and Apple India Press Kit.
- Memoji: With the new update, Apple is all set to bring in cool interactive feature which is named as 'Memoji'. It will basically allow iPhone X users to create a custom caricature of their self.